THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Harvey & Eck - DAY FIVE

Thursday, January 26, 2006

On Harvey & Eck - DAY FIVE


The piper payer has called for another tune. Obligingly I submit the following update on my progress through her novel, Harvey & Eck.

* * * * * * *

I have been anticipating (not eagerly) arriving at the pages in the book excerpted by Erin on her blog. I say not eagerly because the protagonist's conduct described in the excerpt alarms me exceedingly. I am generally ignorant of the statistics relevant to such conduct. But despite this ignorance, I have an emotional reaction to being confronted with that conduct. I view it is somewhat akin to Russian Roulette, except that in this case the person holding the gun points it at an innocent bystander instead of himself/herself. Ignoring the ancient wisdom regarding how you should look around at the glass house you're living in and walk a day in the shoes of the person you're pillorying (is that a word?) before casting the first stone, I am troubled by self-destructive behavior that has the potential to destroy more than the self engaging in the behavior.

But ... I didn't get to the pages in the excerpt yet. So apparently I have to feel this way more than once!

7 Comments:

Blogger PDD said...

What is so brilliant about Erin's writing is that very fact. It provokes you. It makes you feel an emotion. Good or bad. And any writer who is capable of doing that has done their job... superbly.

4:19 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger Grant Bailie said...

I think you should have to give the book back.

6:41 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

The pages will reveal themselves, garrett. Read on (please),

8:48 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 said...

Garretts review is making me feel an emotion...is impatience an emotion???

9:58 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

We're waiting for two other things to reveal themselves, Erin. I'm sure that's what's really got Flamingo waxing impatient.

10:19 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

I believe I know to which two things you are referring Garrett.

Honestly. You men and your constant obsession with those things. Wasn't Jane's post enough?

7:44 AM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

No. No it wasn't. Anything to do with sex is too important to go unnoticed. Seriously.

Damn, I could use a good romp session right now.

9:50 AM, January 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home