THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Harvey & Eck - DAY NINE

Sunday, February 19, 2006

On Harvey & Eck - DAY NINE

Most moving for me in the twenty-plus pages I just read of Harvey & Eck was the bit about John Dylan. I was wholly unprepared for this since: one, it doesn't have much if anything to do with Harvey or Eck (as far as I could tell); and two, coincidentally I've spent much of two recent commutes listening and almost crying to the last verse of Dar Williams' amazing song "When I Was a Boy" over and over (picture me blasting down the dark Houston freeways singing along in a chokey voice and desperately wanting to be a girl again so I could talk to my mother who passed away a little more than fifteen years ago). So I was deeply touched and awed and frightened and amazed at Erin's courage in tossing in this seemingly minor but I think intimately personal and probably emotionally crushing detail.


John Dylan, as described in the book, is an artist. An inspired artist who conceives of a bold and brilliant design and who manages that even greater achievement of getting the financing and team in place to make the vision a reality. And who, so tells Eck, commits suicide as the project is underway but before the work is complete.

Erin, my cyber-friend, I am sorry for your loss.

Reading those words in your book I thought it must have been brave, crazy, and/or necessary for you to include it. I doff my cap to you, "by duchess."

Harvey & Eck (click it, buy it!)


Photo Credits: here

3 Comments:

Blogger PDD said...

Yes. I suspected the link as well, but never had the courage to say anything. I have wanted to ask Erin many questions regarding this, but again, never had the courage as these things can be touchy.

I think this is my favorite post/review regarding Harvey & Eck.

Garrett, you are beyond a host.

1:00 AM, February 19, 2006  
Blogger Velvet Fog said...

I may have to buy this book after all.

11:50 AM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

I miss the old photo of Mr. Shlongford. This new one doesn't sit well with me.

5:12 PM, February 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home