THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Harvey & Eck - DAYS TEN, ELEVEN, AND TWELVE

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

On Harvey & Eck - DAYS TEN, ELEVEN, AND TWELVE

KAPOW!

Erin was right. I started up reading Harvey & Eck at the "regular" time this morning. It was about 8:15 a.m. There were a bit more than forty pages of the book yet to read. My goal was to be ready to leave for work by 8:45 a.m. I had allotted twenty to thirty minutes for the three-stage ritual preparation looming ahead of me, including reading my usual one-twelfth of her fine novel.

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men. The words, the story. The thrill, the agony. I just couldn't stop reading. The pages were turning themselves. The paragraphs were relentless.

Time - to me - stood still.

How would it end?
How would it end?
How would it end?

Thirty minutes later I was still sitting, still reading. Five minutes after that, those all too familiar feelings of joy and sorrow, elation and regret washed over me. I was spent. I had finished the book. I knew how it ended. I had completed the journey. Lives had opened and closed.

* * *
Harvey & Eck is a charming book, worthy of being cherished. This is a book I intend to read again (and in my view, this is about the highest compliment a reader can pay a novelist); there is deeper understanding to be achieved. As Harvey and Eck discovered (or did they?), there is truth to be gleaned from reliving experiences (or is there?). Life is the richer for memories, especially memories remembered. This book ably reminds us that time is a magnificent filter, capable of eroding our experiences until just the slender vein of truth remains. And that the truth is important.
Erin O'Brien has created something special and wonderful. I am grateful to her that she entrusted me with her book, inviting me to publish my thoughts about it on these pages. Of course it wasn't much of a gamble; my audience of three to four people will only help (or hurt) her in the Amazon beauty contest so much. But I am thrilled and blessed to be able to say, confidentially to Erin, of course, that I loved this book.

And now, as my review of Harvey & Eck (finally, you say) ends, I want to make sure that the book's future readers (whom I hope will be legion) are absolutely clear with regards to my position on the one most controversial topic contained in its pages:

  • PARAKEETS HAVE NO PLACE IN A WINNEBAGO.

P.S.
Confidential to Grant Bailie (who commented, following my Day Five review, "I think you should have to give the book back"): I think you should examine why you posted that remark. I think if you really believed in Harvey & Eck, you would not have felt a need to come to its defence (or Erin's). You knew I was less than half-way through it. Assuming you've read it, you knew what I had yet to experience. Now that I've completed the book, I can say with confidence that Harvey & Eck did not require your protection (and neither did Erin).

Photo Credits: here

10 Comments:

Blogger PDD said...

How much do I love your ending (P.S)? A lot!

I love it so much that I want it in between my sheets. Can a P.S fit between the sheets?

Anyhow, I knew you'd do a fabulous review. And although I was growing a little impatient during the begining stages, the wait was well worth it. You are very cutting edge Garrett. (perhaps that is why your field is in fashion).

I said this before and I will say it again; I think you deserve a bigger audience.

Bravo!

2:39 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Grant Bailie said...

Hey, you said that to me in confidence but apparently everyone can read it. How odd.

Anyway, sure. I take it all back. You dedicated your whole page to her book and clearly deserve the book and chocolates and whatever else she sent you.

But you spelled "defense" wrong, motherfucker, so you and I are gonna throw down.

2:43 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 said...

I spelled elevation wrong in my most recent post. It happens.

I can vouch for Garrett's ability to spell and will offer a typographical explanation for that single error.

At least his was not an error in judgment. Not everyone on this comment page can make that assertion - right Grant?

2:50 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

Grant: Please do me the favour of accepting my humblest apologies for the crude behaviour exhibited by the commentors above. Colour me red for embarrassed. I fully expected them to honour the captioned "confidentiality" clause.

Alas ... buggers all, they did not.

Best,

garrett

3:04 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Velvet Fog said...

I've been making topographical maps lately. I don't know how I do it. They've been very well received.

3:21 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

I would like to have sex with everyone who has posted here.

3:26 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

Wishes and horses being what they are, I hereby take it upon myself to try for the next best thing:

I hereby commission Dongley Shlongford to draw us a picture of Erin O'Brien having sex with everyone who has posted here.

And please make sure Grant Bailie looks ashamed.

3:31 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Erin:
Bring it on... on a platter...

9:51 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Grant Bailie said...

Garrett--you're OK by me....honest. I was just kidding before about giving the book back. Sheesh..some people cannot take a joke.

But confidential to Complete Game: I do not take any advice from a man who lists Young Guns as one of his favorite movies. I mean honestly, I think you should have to turn your penis in to the authorities right now.

11:44 AM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger Satan said...

enough of the bullshit

reconciliation is for sissies

war

war

war

we need hate and anger to feed me

12:07 PM, February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home