THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Harvey & Eck - DAY THREE

Saturday, January 21, 2006

On Harvey & Eck - DAY THREE


"There is no reason to be scared."

At least that's what one of the characters in the novel Harvey & Eck asserts in one of the letters on the pages of the book that I read most recently. Begging Erin's forgiveness (I'm sure I must've glossed over dozens of others of equal weight), this was the first sentence in the book I considered profound.

My reactions (in the context of the book) to reading those words included: (1) yes, that's true, and good show saying as much; (2) who gives a damn; nobody needs a reason to be scared and telling some one who is scared that they haven't a reason to be scared is hardly helpful (or a good idea); and (3) physician, heal thyself (after reading the next letter from the character that wrote the headlining sentence to this blog entry).

My reactions (in the context of real life) to reading those words include: (1) yes, that's absolutely true, and good show to anyone who reminds themselves of this periodically (out loud is best); (2) yes, that's absolutely true, and good show to anyone who reminds themselves of this periodically, but damn, comprehending the heights and depths to which that sentence is true is a lifetime challenge; and (3) bullshit, look around!!!

* * * * * * * *

With regards to progress, here's the latest: I consumed two more Ecks and two more Harveys in this latest installment. Profanity has dwindled from abundant to absent. Nevertheless, I am confident Jungle Jane found plenty else to motivate her to page ahead. I know I did.

* * * * * * * *

Confidential to Flamingo1 - Four letters in one "reading session" left me with my right leg fairly soundly asleep. Porcelain supports, but it does not forgive.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

Dear Garrett,

There is no reason to be scared.

Love,

Erin

10:21 PM, January 21, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 said...

The only thing you should be worried about is getting roids from spending so much time on the can.

4:25 PM, January 22, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 said...

I sit here every day waiting for the open letter to Dan Crall...and every day I am disappointed to find no such letter.

I miss Garrett.

6:01 PM, January 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home