THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Being True To Your Word - Part 1

Thursday, April 13, 2006

On Being True To Your Word - Part 1

As of this minute, I am keeping this promise. See below.




This photograph was taken (as you can see in the lower-left hand corner of the photo) on March 28, 2006. Our company took a tour to one of the drilling rigs operated on our properties. We had over twenty people on the tour, including children, investment bankers, lawyers (many, many lawyers), geologists, spouses, engineers, hedge fund financiers, and accountants. We were quite a group.

It was great fun.

It was a gorgeous day, although it had rained very heavily shortly before we got to the drillsite, leaving the drill pad very puddled, muddy and generally soggy (the drill pad is an area several acres in size on which the drilling rig, the camp trailers for the rig hands, the drill pipe, the shacks where the mud loggers do their mud logging, and other accoutrements of the trade supporting the drilling activity). You can sort of see in the picture that I have my jeans rolled up. This was necessary to avoid the mud. It was mostly successful. Some of the bankers and lawyers were in nicer clothing than was ideal given the mud, but folks were generally good-natured about it.

The drilling rig itself was a significantly more impressive structure than I had anticipated. It was really tall (maybe 150'). The footprint of the rig itself was quite large. Of course if I had thought about it I might not have been surprised by this. The rig is in the process of drilling a hole over 15,000 feet into the earth, so it makes sense that a pretty significant piece of equipment is required to achieve that result.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an informative post & photo, complete with labeling of what's what and who's who. And your jeans are rolled up so neatly, too. Those ARE some pretty rockin' statistics. Surely, they are.

11:34 PM, April 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hanging out on the Union Pacific Railroad as trains whizz by?? Flashback!! Anybody ever see Starlight Express? Trains whizzing by on rollerblades on an enclosed theatre stage?!? THAT Union Pacific train, Greaseball -- what a hunk of machine that was! Rolling stock, rolling stock ... da da da DA!!

10:05 AM, April 14, 2006  
Blogger crallspace said...

In front of that large group, it would have been great if you started touting some made-up project, and just carried on about how great it will be, as people grow more confused.

1:15 PM, April 14, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

Dan, I thought you were planning to try to cut down on that sort of confusing, anti-social behavior?

;-)

10:17 AM, April 15, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

I have to catch up on a lot Garrett. I have to admit I haven't read any of your most recent postings. I have to. I really have to. I will. Just let me go take a shower first. I have been cleaning all day and now I am more dirty than your... never mind. I will shut up now. I have got to go take a shower.

I loved your deep thoughts post by the way.

Remember Deep thoughts by Jack Handy (I think that's the name) I love this one:

If life is supposed to be a joke, then man... I don't get it.

9:38 PM, April 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home