THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Blissful, Restorative Slumber - Part 1

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

On Blissful, Restorative Slumber - Part 1

Since I changed jobs, blissful, restorative slumber has been more difficult for me to achieve. The combination of owning (and paying for) two homes, organizing and addressing transfers of technology from our old house to our new house (e.g., phone, internet, and cable), and one or two minor head colds and cough-y throats, plus the significantly more front-line nature of my new role at my new employer led to me spending more time awake or almost awake, brain idly (or not so idly) planning and strategizing the next day's activities.

So this made the experience I'll be recounting in this blog entry all the more worth celebrating.




I took some Nyquil. I went to bed at about 9:00 pm. Quickly I fell into what must have been a quite deep sleep. Thereafter, I woke up. I felt totally refreshed. I felt like I had been asleep for a very, very long time. I felt fantastic. But I noticed that it was still dark outside. So I thought I'd look at the clock before getting up to start another exciting day. I figured maybe I had 30 minutes or so more to sleep. As good as I felt, I was sure it was just because I'd gone to bed so early that I'd awakened a few minutes before my normal 6:00 to 6:30 am.

I rolled the dial on my Blackberry[1]. It lit up. My eyes focused on the clock part of the display. It read "11:49."

This, friends and neighbors, was a spectacular outcome. Not only did I already feel well-rested and refreshed from my deep, blissful, restorative slumber, but I had over six hours yet to sleep before it was time for me to undertake normal morning activities.

So, happily, I plunged back into dreamland.

Thank you, Nyquil!

* * * * * * *
[1]
Yes, I sleep with my Blackberry at my side -- it functions as my lifeline for electronic communication with the world, providing the world access to me at the world's convenience, enabling me to be an attractive hire to people shopping for lawyers who will make themselves available on such terms. It is also my alarm clock. What a wonderful, amazing, liberating device!

10 Comments:

Blogger PDD said...

I am still having enormous issues with catching up. I don't know if you are aware, but I lost my job. Yes, that is right (stop laughing) I lost my job. My boss unceremoniously decides to shut the whole place down. He tells me a day before he does so. I know, how bizarre. Anyway, I spend from dawn til dusk searching and submiting my resume for a job, so I have been a poor poor blogger as far as reading other blogs. However, I can't stop posting. It's ridiculous actually. But it's better than smoking crack... not that I ever smoked crack, but I thought to mention that it is better than smoking crack.

An interesting tidbit, I had three interviews the very same week the agency I was working at shut down. I was not aware of the fact that it was going to shut down. Something told me to submit my resume to the places I ended up landing interviews. I wonder what that something was. It could have been my psychic dumb dumb self, or it could have been the friendly ghost that lurks around us all, or... it could have been YOU!

All interviews went spectacularly well. I may even get three offers, who knows?

I know you are probably wondering why I am telling you all of this. I just wanted to let you know that I didn't forget about you. In fact you cause me a bit of anxiety, meaning, anytime I have no time to check out your blog it irritates me because I know I am missing something good. I could have very well just read this post instead of spending this free time typing you this, but now I have run out of time so I will have to read it another time. Seriously.

11:17 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

I have never taken nyquil.

I love when I wake up many hours before I have to. It truly is one of the most liberating feelings.

Does your alarm clock vibrate at a speed where it is significant and worthy enough to stick it up where the sun don't shine?

You have a prostate gland, Garrett, I know you've figured a few ways on how to stimulate it.

Sorry for being so blunt.

PDD

11:25 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

Nothing blunt gets very close to my prostrate gland unless it started out in my stomach.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm not much of an experimenter.

11:29 PM, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what you have here! I have a hypnosis facts site please feel free to visit.

4:50 AM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a tie.

SPAM = 7

FLAMINGO = 7

I smell a filthy, rotten liar in our midst. Or is that leftovers?

10:03 AM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 said...

I have to admit the spam is gaining on me rapidly.

Yet, if you were to count the number of messages left on your blog and add up all the time it takes to add in that stupid word thing, I think you will agree that the act of deleting 7 items of Spam would take substantially less time.

I remain solid in my resolution that that whole word thing is a pain in the place where you never place blunt items.

10:42 AM, April 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this has nothing to do with anything but, Spear, do you remember the time that i put your picture up on "hotornot.com" and you scored an 8. now that's comedy.

12:10 PM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

FD - my recollection is that actually I scored like a 9.23 or something in that range. My results were materially higher than 8. And materially higher than Frenchy's, which was far and away the more important datum.

SPAM = 7

FLAMINGO = 8

It's a close race!

12:42 PM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Well, Garrett (and pinky) you score 100! It's nice to see how well you put the word blunt to use.

I am impressed.

But you guys always impress me.

PDD

I got another interview for a kick ass job. I am feeling particularly happy at the moment.

So I will say this I LOVE YOU GUYS!

12:45 PM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 said...

Farm Dog - I think Garrett is easily a mid-9.

Garrett - don't do drugs. Drugs are bad.

6:57 PM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home