THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: Running From Rita - Part 2

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Running From Rita - Part 2


I knew Texans loved their cars. But I had no idea how many cars there actually were around here. It's a large number. There are clearly more cars in Houston than the roads can handle. At least there are certainly more cars than the Houston freeways can handle all at once. And, of course, all those people driving out of here are buying gas. I didn't find a filling station with gas until the seventh or eighth filling station I found this morning.

I am wishing Our Family would have evacuated on Tuesday. The gridlock on all out-bound roads is unbelievable. I've never seen anything like it (obvious statement alert ... obvious statement alert). Getting out of here is going to be an interesting and complicated proposition ...

Current plan is to try to sneak south and west on some back roads. Back roads that I'm sure the real locals won't know about. :-)

Further updates as events warrant ...

P.S.
The treasured ducks seem to be oblivious to Rita's approach. I tried to explain to them that this might be a decent time for them to take advantage of their ability to fly and head for higher ground farther inland, but they just pooped in our yard and waddled off to hunt for whatever it is ducks eat.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurricanes: They're FAN-tastic!

9:02 AM, September 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having not been around the blog for a while, I hadn't realized that you would be close to the storm path. I hope that you and your family will be able to get out safely.

You should hoard twinkies. Those things last forever and are oh so good. A whole family can live off of twinkies for at least two days. Go for the twinkies.

Good luck and I hope that the brunt of the strom will pass you by.

Props from Boston.

9:03 AM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger Blogger said...

Best of luck to you and yours and to your stuff!

And I agree, Chicago is an excellent place to escape to. Or Austin, good music there this weekend (ACLfestival.com says that the show is scheduled to go on).

10:10 AM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger garrett said...

Are you still heading south, Truth Girl?

11:51 AM, September 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home