THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Televised Plebiscites - Part 1

Saturday, February 18, 2006

On Televised Plebiscites - Part 1



Lisa Rinna got the shaft. I like Jerry Rice fine, but he was totally outclassed.

(At least according to a friend of mine who emailed me her views on the matter immediately after the most recent broadcast of of Dancing With The Stars he was totally outclassed by Lisa who "put her heart & soul into it" only to lose to Jerry who certainly tried reasonably hard but was just a much lesser competitor.)

Accordingly, herewith follows my opinion [1] regarding currently popular televised plebiscites:
Dancing with the Stars needs to be treated differently than American Idol. In the case of American Idol, the votes are more likely to reflect people's opinions about the performer's merits just during American Idol, since the contestants are otherwise unknowns.

But where the contestants are popular stars from other arenas, the plebiscite might logically be skewed based on the relative popularity of the contestants outside the context of the dance competition. The contestants, the stars, are by definition well known outside the competition. The pre-existing biases of the fans will naturally manifest themselves in the vote independent of the contestants' performances. At least to an extent.

I guess Lisa's not laughing now, eh?

Well, neither are certain would-be fans of the show.

I'm all for a good old-fashioned plebiscite, but unjust ain't right.

[1] The views expressed in this post may or may not accurately reflect my views.

Photo Credits: here

11 Comments:

Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

I am hallucinating. I am dreaming.

No, I'm just at Garrett's site, where posts come and go so very quickly ...

Hmmm.

3:36 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

Had too much material for one day!

MNNEAC will be back, I promise.

Monday.

3:37 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

I take it you finally figured out how to respond to that post?

3:41 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 said...

Just checking in for spam. Not seeing any I leave victorious and self-righteous.

6:23 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

SPAM: 1.

FLAMINGO: 5 (or so), not one of which has been worth a drop of warm piss on the shoe.

7:50 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

I don't understand these shows. I don't even know what channel to watch them on. Not something I really concern myself with though. In a post of mine (which you have probably never read. I reference you a lot garrett, and no one has any idea except for of course, Pinky, Erin, and Dan.) I suggested that you could qualify as the host of American Idol with Pinky being one of the judges. Sorry Garrett, Pinky is a god. Anyhow, do you like the offer?

9:25 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

PDD: I saw that. I was amused.

Pinky is dreamy and he is also a fabulous kisser. But as he confessed in your post, he is wired in such a way as to make him a poor choice for a judge on American Idol.

For my part, I am almost certainly not charming enough to play Ryan Seacrest. That guy has developed a real gift for interacting briefly and honestly with strangers under duress. From my seat, he earns every penny of his lavish compensation.

9:31 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

I want to see flamingo and garrett kiss. You two are so cute together!

12:44 PM, February 19, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

I'd like to join, but not kiss Garrett. He could watch.

4:15 PM, February 19, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Pinky:
You are dreamy and I can tell you are a good kisser.

10:35 PM, February 19, 2006  
Blogger Velvet Fog said...

Last time Lisa Rinna was at my place, she had an almost identical expression upon viewing The Pendulum for the first time.

12:21 PM, February 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home