THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: And Speaking of Hobbies ...

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

And Speaking of Hobbies ...


***




Did you know there is a fairly significant sub-culture of people who want to be just like Lance Armstrong? (Significant in terms of number of people, I think. Not political influence or wealth, of course.) The ten-speed bicycle has really changed.

And a lot of these people shave their entire lower bodies. So I'm told. They also wear the funny skin-tight clothes (I think they're called "jumpsuits".) you see on the guys at the Tour de France even just to ride around on their bikes in their neighborhood. I'm all for hobbies, of course, but I don't dress up like a storm trooper just to practice memorizing the lines to Return of the Jedi.

The above is a picture of one of these guys that I found. One can only imagine what's next for the otherwise normal-looking tot smiling there in front of him. Decades of chapstick and windburn if he follows in his daddy's footsteps.

Now, in all seriousness, I wish I could do that bike racing myself. I never participated much in team sports in high school or college, but what I've read about the bike racing world sounds pretty interesting. Apparently there's a lot of strategy involved. And there is certainly a lot of terminology that has unique meaning and application in the sport. So that's pretty cool.

But look at that guy - what a tool. Can you imagine seeing a guy dressed like that, working out on a stationary bike in a hotel gym in New Jersey or something? That would be too much.

7 Comments:

Blogger Velvet Fog said...

Chicks dig the legs, or so I'm told. Makes 'em rabid.

9:26 AM, August 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bike looks like it is worth more than my car...

11:02 AM, August 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a man crush on this guy?

12:02 PM, August 09, 2005  
Blogger garrett said...

He does have a nice smile. For somebody wearing a jumpsuit.

2:58 PM, August 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stupid Comment deleted by author

3:35 PM, August 09, 2005  
Blogger garrett said...

I recommend not riding so close to the other competitors.

11:38 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger garrett said...

Did you exchange any words with this fellow competitor?

DNF is also a good acronym to keep in mind when you're at a gentlemen's club and you're married and you happen to have a couple of hundred dollar bills on you. DID NOT FINISH is not the meaning I've got in mind, though, for this context.

12:10 PM, August 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home