THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Setting a Lifetime Goal - Part 1

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

On Setting a Lifetime Goal - Part 1


Today is the day. Today I am setting a goal that at some point in my life my family will have a net worth (measured in dollars) that exceeds the number of minutes I have then been alive.

For those of you keeping track at home, here's the comparison from March 31, 2005 (the last time I prepared our family balance sheet):
  • Minutes alive = 17,278,560.
  • Net worth = more than zero, thankfully.

And I did some math just now (with the help of my trusty Hewlett-Packard 12C financial calculator). If I hope to achieve this goal by my 50th birthday (May 25, 2022), I've got to compound our family's net worth by about 35% per annum. No mean trick. Looks like I've got some Warren Buffet-style wood to chop to get there by then. More reasonably, it appears that if I hope to achieve this goal by my 75th birthday, I've got to compound our family's net worth by only about 14% per annum. That sounds considerably more attainable but would still be pretty darn good.

By then I'll have been alive (God willing.) almost 40 million minutes.
That's a lot of donuts.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

12:29 PM, August 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any attempt to cheat, especially with my wife, who is a dirty, dirty, tramp, and I am just gonna snap.

12:30 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger garrett said...

I just want to thank y'all for these constructive comments.

I need to set out a tip jar here on the blog so people can help me get there!

12:32 PM, August 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you are going to just spend it on waffle cones.

12:43 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger garrett said...

Now THAT is funny.

1:14 PM, August 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love lamp

1:19 PM, August 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoo you're a quick one!

2:12 PM, August 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home