THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Business Models - Part 1

Monday, May 01, 2006

On Business Models - Part 1

This website is a fabulous idea, it seems to me. The blog you see if you click through the preceding link is styled "A Painting a Day." It's the blog of a painter named named Duane Keiser. According to his blog, he posts a painting a day. Postcard sized oil paintings. Still lifes, mostly, from the days I clicked around and saw. Nice pieces. I like his style. I would buy these paintings.

And at the top of each post, he links to his ebay auction where that particular painting is available to the highest bidder. Some of them I saw sold for in excess of $300. Decent.

What a great way to profit from being a skilled artist. It's got to be an exceedingly high profit margin business. And I can't imagine it takes him more than an hour to bang out one of those post-card sized paintings. If he could figure out how to increase the volume of products sold through his blog he might really be on to something. Of course maybe he can identify his top selling paintings through the blog, identifying customer demand, and then create larger versions of those same paintings, hoping to increase revenue. Or maybe he can make prints of the top sellers and generate higher volumes of sales (albeit at lower prices) from those pieces.

Anyway, bully for this guy. That's using your noodle. That's putting technology to work for you. What a great way for an artist to make his products available to a large, interested group of consumers.

Chris - you should try this method to gin up some coin instead of that adsense gimmick!!

I can't paint or I'd try it myself. Hell, maybe I should try to learn.

Photo Credits: here

10 Comments:

Blogger PDD said...

While I have only checked out one painting from Kieser, the rose one, I do like the one that you have posted. And if that is the sort of stuff he does than I would have to purchase a few for myself, provided I get a job.

I have painted a few pieces myself. And have done some charchol drawings. Perhaps I should take pictures and post them on my blog. I have a big blank canvass somewhere at my parents house. I have always wanted to paint in collaboration with another on that canvass. Maybe you and I could paint something together. But no stick men, Garrett.

2:52 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger Satan said...

ive got something id like to paint you with pdd

theres plenty of paint in my stick man

6:56 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Just tell me when Satan and I am there. Seriously.

7:22 PM, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

psychic dumb-dumb, which one are you in lust for? Garrett, or Satan? pls make up your freakin' mind. or is that what the "dumb dumb" part of your name is for?

8:52 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

Anonymous, you have clearly mistaken my blog for Flamingo's.

8:54 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Yes Anonymous is clearly confused. Perhaps Anonymous could join my dumb-dumb cult. We could simply call you Dumb-Dumb Anonymous with the alternative being: Anonymous Dumb-Dumb, which ever you prefer. Unless of course you have a better idea.

11:57 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

Listen up, people. This isn't a brothel. Nor is it a place for insults and impolitic remarks.

This is a holy place. A place for friends to gather and exchange ideas. Sort of like the head in Full Metal Jacket.

Let's try to remember that, OK, as we interact with one another?

11:59 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

LOL!

Anonymous started it Garrett. I know you are a father. Maybe you could test your parental wisdom on us kids.

I have no clue who this anonymous is because, well, because it's anonymous.

2:32 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Velvet Fog said...

I sell my soiled thongs on the beach. No internet or advertising required. Crazy bitches eat that shit up.

9:46 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Dongley:
Are they half price once they dry?

11:38 AM, May 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home