THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Another Not Retouched Photograph - Part 1

Thursday, November 17, 2005

On Another Not Retouched Photograph - Part 1

In no small part because I am rabidly envious of the favorable response that Erin gets for the pictures she posts on her blog, I decided today to make this post about the incredible thing I saw yesterday.

DISCLAIMER: Neither of the pictures in this entry have been retouched, altered, or modified, digitally or in any way. Each picture is a precise representation of part of what I was seeing at the time I took it.

PHOTO #1:

* * * * * * *

PHOTO #2

I took both of those pictures in my backyard yesterday afternoon. In each case I was standing, leaning back, aiming my eyes (and the camera) straight up into what you can plainly see is a clear blue sky. I intentionally included the palm fronds in Photo #2 for a hint of contrast. It was a compositional decision.

What is most interesting, to me, looking at these pictures this morning, is what you don't see. I was inspired to take these photographs by something really interesting and fun that happened out there in the sky above my backyard a few minutes before I took these pictures. It was a pretty windy day (especially for Houston, Texas). And two very large turkey vultures were riding the wind, soaring back and forth just above the tops of the trees in my neighbor's yard and then soaring over my backyard. I like to watch birds of prey (or scavengers, I guess, in this case) soaring. They are pretty majestic. Very interesting to watch. It was pretty cool.

All four of us (in my family) were out there. And after watching for a few minutes it occurred to both my wife and I that these were vultures. Vultures gather at the scenes of unfortunate occurrences. My wife decided she was going to take the baby inside. Just in case. I agreed with her decision. The vultures were actually flying at an almost uncomfortable altitude.

Sorry I didn't get a picture of the birds themselves. That might have been more interesting.

9 Comments:

Blogger FLAMINGO1 said...

I believe Fog is correct. Vultures typically eat carrion...which would be dead animals. I don't believe that they actually kill things themselves. I would guess that there is plenty of roadkill around to keep them fat and happy.

I love the blue sky, by the way. I've got some of that here, too. It's supposed to be 81 degrees here today.

8:04 AM, November 17, 2005  
Blogger PDD said...

Luckly, we don't have snow here in Toronto yet. But will have some soon enough I suspect.

Maybe moving to the states is not such a bad idea after all. Pinky, can I stay in your dungeon with the pool boy?

If this were to happen, I would return to Canada only 6 months later weighing in well over 400 lbs.

10:11 AM, November 17, 2005  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 said...

For some reason, the pool boy does not stay in the dungeon. He has been staying in the master bedroom.

PDD, I disagree with your assertion that you would leave here weighing 400 (unless you currently weigh 500 - hey, how am I supposed to know?!?!?!). This is the time of year when everyone is active in Phoenix. Our "winter" is May through September when it is too damn hot to go outside and way too hot to be active outside (other than to run for the air conditioning).

12:05 PM, November 17, 2005  
Blogger PDD said...

If you have to know, I am 5'6" and weigh 120 lbs. I share the same birthday as Bono from U2, Sid Vicious from The Sex Pistols, and Fred Astair... Yes, I am a disaster. More info regarding who I am is left in the comment section on your most recent posting. There, now can I stay in your dungeon with the pool boy??

1:41 PM, November 17, 2005  
Blogger PDD said...

And, yes, If I went to America for 6 months I would in fact come back weighing in well over 400 lbs. Crallspace's most recent posting will prove it. Thank you, thank you very much.

God blesses America with icing on the cake!

1:43 PM, November 17, 2005  
Blogger PDD said...

It just started snowing in Toronto.

1:46 PM, November 17, 2005  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 said...

I didn't "have" to know...but I did thought it might be important if we were going to have that one night stand that was mentioned somewhere along the line.

2:00 PM, November 17, 2005  
Blogger PDD said...

Of course.

2:29 PM, November 17, 2005  
Blogger crallspace said...

Blue sky... yes, a blue sky.

5:01 PM, November 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home