THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: Lyttle Lytton Contest Entry

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Lyttle Lytton Contest Entry



I heard about this contest from a dear friend and a wonderful man (not pictured). This contest is delightfully intellectually stimulating. I am a traditionalist, so I am only interested in the "classic" Lyttle Lytton contest. The rules, the parameters, are as follows: Your task is to write the first sentence of an imaginary novel. Your goal is to make it hilariously bad. The maximum sentence length is 25 words.

I like this idea. I used to have some of my dear friend the wonderful man's efforts, but I lost that email after moving over to the new job. Luckily I still have the best effort I've summoned to date. I haven't submitted this for the contest. But I am publishing it here for the collective joy of both people who read my blog regularly.

To whit:

  • By afternoon the distant screams subsided, but since the planet Zerphat doesn't orbit anything or rotate, this didn't mean much to Bob or Lucy.

I'm not sure, reading it again today, that I like it that much anymore. But I would definitely not read a novel with that for the first sentence, so at least it's got that going for it.


Photo Credits: here

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is getting dark, then it is very dark, black.

1:46 PM, May 10, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Thanks for that info. I want to enter too. I would never read a novel with that for the first sentence either, so I think you are on the right track.

Very well done!

PDD

1:48 PM, May 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, it's great!! It kinda sucks, but it's also intriguing (in a bizarre little way), and it has STYLE (or so to speak)! What fun!

10:11 PM, May 10, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

Actually, your comment, anonymous, makes me think my comment would have been better if I'd have ended it with an exclamation point.

10:13 PM, May 10, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Yes, garrett. You need to do the revision. That will be hilarious!

11:07 PM, May 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shock at hearing that His Libertarian-ness had changed jobs without making it well-known to those in Virginia who esteemed him well was a shock. (it's sort of chiasmus-ic in a way . . . sort of)

3:07 PM, May 25, 2006  
Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

I've thrown it down for your buddy, flamingo1. He's got until Monday, May 29, 2006 at midnight.

9:49 AM, May 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home