THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. THIS BLOG IS MY BLOG. Welcome to the Home of Hyperopia.: On Gravity, Inverted - Part 1

Saturday, July 15, 2006

On Gravity, Inverted - Part 1

So I'd say there's about an eighty percent probability most of you have heard of this guy: Mr. Newton.

He wrote best-selling books.

And, among other things, he was a scientist.

He studied apples.




* * *


And I'd say there's about a ninety-nine and forty-four one-hundredths percent chance most of you have heard of this guy: click here.

He is a fool.

And any of you who have heard of me but not of Mr. Newton, I am sending out a prayer for your family. Especially your offspring.

* * *

So anyway, the topic is gravity. Sort of. I'm sure someone who knows physics knows the answer to this question. But I don't. I don't know physics or the answer to this question. And with my limited resources (pool with maximum depth of five feet; mediocre swimming abilities; plastic inflated balls of varying sizes but also varying stabilities; toddlers in their first year of borderline swimming to watch after) I was unable to perform experiments satisfactory to reach any intelligent conclusions.
  • QUESTION: Does a large ball filled with air that is submerged in a body of water rise to the surface of said body more quickly than a small ball filled with air submerged in that same body of water assuming everything other than the size of the ball and the volume of the air in the ball is equal (e.g., air pressure inside the ball, temperature of everything, depth from which the balls are released, etc.)??

Thoughts?




Photo Credits: here and here (not necessarily in that order).

8 Comments:

Blogger PDD said...

They both rise to the surface of said body at the same rate. One does not rise more quickly than the other.

But I know you already know this and that you are being facetious.

Mr. Newton was clearly ahead of his time where style is concerned. His hair was the precursor to that of the 80's style.

"If you dont know me by now
You will never never never know me... no you wont"

Apparently, the Sex Pistols was the impetus of forming Simply Red.

You can read it here

Oh and Sid Vicious from the sex pistols shares the same birthday as I do. He died at 21 yrs.

11:05 PM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Sid Vicious

11:09 PM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

It's even funnier if you read the entire thing. (Sid Vicious).

But I also share the same birtday with Bono from U2 and Fred Astair. What does this say about me? I am a disaster?

Oh and my husband is born on the same day as Kirk Cameron. You know that dude from Growing Pains? What does this say about him?

11:18 PM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger garrett said...

Actually, this is a serious question, the answer to which is by no means clear to me.

Why would they objects necessarily rise at the same rate? It's certainly not gravity that causes the inflated objects to rise to the surface. So I am genuinely curious to know the answer.

So are you serious? Do you know the answer as a scientific fact or were you just answering in a sort of cavalier way because you thought I was effing around?

Also - too much Sid Vicious!

Let's try to stay a bit more on topic, eh?

Cheers!

9:20 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Okay, I was thinking they had the same density and therefore it would be equal in rising.

If the weight of an object is less than the weight of the fluid (which in the case of the balls filled with air would be) the object would displace if it was fully submerged, then the object is less dense than the fluid and it floats at a level so it displaces the same weight of fluid as the weight of the object.

10:35 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

I am almost sure that they rise to the surface at the same rate.

10:39 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger PDD said...

Oh, and light travels 300,000 Km per second. Thats a fact. Seriously.

12:43 AM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

Human beings are mostly water.

Water is heavier than oil and all hydrocarbon products. Hence, a human being cannot swim in gasoline.

If a human being falls into a large tank of gasoline, he shall sink to the bottom and die.

On to the equator.

8:39 AM, July 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home